Burn Ban Information

Burn Ban Information

Oklahoma weather, by virtue, plays a big role in how fire acts.  High winds, periods of drought, dry air and low humidity "RH" all contribute to how quickly a fire can develop.  When these conditions occur, to reduce the risk to the community, there are times it is necessary to implement a burn ban.  When a burn ban is implemented, information will be accessible on this site.

Types of Burn Bans

  1. "Governors Burn Ban" is when the Governor orders a burn ban.
  2. "County Burn Ban" is when the County Commissioners order a burn ban within the county.

Dates of any burn ban and the time of duration will be posted here.  Any specifics will also be noted, such as no outdoor cooking, cooking on hard surfaces only, using gas type grills only along with exceptions for outdoor activities such as welding and the cutting of metal.  For further burn ban information, please visit: http://www.forestry.ok.gov/burn-ban-info

City of Skiatook Burning Restrictions Ordinance

There are City Ordinances prohibiting outdoor burning of refuse, leaves and lawn waste within the city limits of Skiatook.  If you have an outdoor fire pit or an area for outdoor recreational burning, please check with the Fire Department to verify your actions are within the Ordinances.  The Skiatook Fire Department is here to be a partner to the citizens and to promote a safe community.

Fire Works

PLEASE REVIEW the City of Skiatook Ordinance that applies to the sale, discharge and clean-up of fireworks and firework debris.  View Skiatook Municipal Ordinance 6-4G-7 here:  http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/codebook/index.php?book_id=987

Fireworks Safety Tips

The best way to protect you and your family is to not use any fireworks at home.  Instead, attend public firework displays and leave the lighting to the professionals.

  • If you do plan to use fireworks, make certain they are legal in your area.
  • ALWAYS closely supervise children when around fireworks.  Little arms are too short to hold sparklers, which can heat up to 1,200° F.  
  • NEVER light fireworks indoors or near dry grass.
  • Do NOT wear loose clothing while using fireworks.
  • Point fireworks away from homes, brush, leaves and flammable substances.
  • Stand several feet away from lit fireworks.  If a device does not ignite, do not stand over to investigate.  Put the device out with water and dispose of it.
  • Always have a bucket of water or a fire extinguisher nearby when using fireworks.  Also, know how to operate the fire extinguisher properly.
  • If a child is injured by a firework, immediately call 9-1-1 or go to the hospital.  If it is an eye injury, do not touch or rub the area as it may cause even more damage.

For more information on Firework Safety, please visit:

Oklahoma State Fire Marshal's Office: https://www.ok.gov/fire/

Fireworks Safety for Children:https://www.safekids.org/safetytips/field_risks/fireworks